Thursday, October 30, 2014

Jonathan Safran Foer Webinar Reaction Assignment

1) On October 28,2014 my class and I watched a persuasive video presented by Jonathan Safran Foer. The title of the video was Jonathan Safran Foer Webenar.

  • One specific moment that stood out to me was when Foer stated that "76 million Americans get food poisoning each year." That is a crazy amount of people. This is all because of the foods that we consume. Foer stated that the main source of food poisoning is animal agriculture. Animals are not the same as they were years ago. They are being subjected to more these days which make them primarily not safe to eat.
  • Another moment that stood out to me was when Foer said that when doing his research he went to factory farmers who make hot dogs and they said that they would never consume a hot dog themselves. They are the only people who know every ingredient that goes into making hot dogs.
  •  "99% of American Agriculture is now factory farming." This really stood out to me because Foer further explains that their isn't live stock running around farms like back in the day. Packaging that says free ranged chicken and non hormone beef is all lies. Foer really did his research and put these companies out on front street. I don't understand how this false advertisement is legal.

2) This presentation can relate to my life because I actually tried being a vegetarian. I didn't have any support though. Which made it harder. I considered becoming a vegetarian because I just all of a sudden stopped liking the taste of meat. It really disgusted me. My mom got mad at me though. She said that I was just being picky and that I was going to make it harder for her to cook because I'm Mexican and our food always has meat. This is true which is why I am not a vegetarian although after learning these facts from Foer I think I might consider it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment