Saturday, September 27, 2014

Literary Analysis Frankenstein by Mary Shelley


1) This novel is initially told through the eyes of an adventurer named Robert Walton. On his journey through the northern ice he saves a man named Victor Frankenstein. Walton expresses his love for adventure to the stranger he encountered, so Frankenstein sees this as an opportunity to warn or give a lesson to Walton. After this the story is narrated by Victor Frankenstein as he tells Robert Walton of his adventures and discoveries.

2) The theme of this novel is everything comes with a price that must be paid. Victor Frankenstein did something that no man should be able to do. He did this out of pure curiosity. He eventually did pay the price for what he did. I think the author chose to write about this because it is a good lesson to learn. The unknown isn't known for a reason. Reasons that shouldn't be tested.

3) I chose this book because my favorite holiday is Halloween and Frankenstein's story is a huge part of that. This book has intrigued me since I was much younger than I am now. I have always wanted to read this book. What made me not want to put it down is because I know the outline of the story of Frankenstein, but like many people I didn't know what became of the monster in the end. This compelled me to read on and finish the book.

4) Of course this book isn't realistic. I mean to create man you need a soul and you can't make that out of scrapped body parts. I was unable to make any connections to this story because this book is fiction. Most of this book is unrealistic, but the message behind it was still a good lesson.

5) The authors tone was regret and shame. It was this because it was narrated by Victor Frankenstein who was confessing his choices and regrets to Robert Walton. "I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful energy, show signs of life and stir with an uneasy, half vital motion." "It was on a dreary night of November, that I beheld the accomplishments of my toils." "But I was a wretch, and none ever conceived of the misery that I then endured."

6) The whole story was told in a formal diction. Even when the author was using imagery to describe what the monster looked like which can be found in Chapter IV page 78. This helped strengthen my understanding of the author's purpose because it better expressed the disgust and amazement of the Victor Frankenstein.

Characterization:

1) Two examples of direct characterization are when the author describes Victor Frankenstein's father and his cousin Elizabeth Lavenza. Just by the things that these characters said I was able to tell what kind of personalities they had. Two examples of indirect characterization was when the author described Robert Walton and Victor Frankenstein these characters developed and progressed throughout the story.

2) The author's diction does not change when different characters speak. They all have the same proper grammar and speech.

3) The protagonist is a dynamic character and round of course. The protagonist is dynamic because he changes a lot throughout the story. He goes from being curious to afraid of the unknown. His experience completely changed his character and way of thinking.

4) After reading this novel I feel like I met a new person. I was able to feel the panic and worry that Victor Frankenstein felt. I almost felt as though he was telling me his story and discoveries. I enjoyed this very much.

Enduring Memory:
Something from this novel that I will remember is the complete message behind it. I have always thought of myself as a curious person. Although, after reading this novel I think I might change that. Curiosity really does kill the cat. I will not spoil the ending, but I will say that this novel does not have a happy ending. "Like one who, on a lonely road, doth walk in fear and dread, and, having once turn'd round, walks on, and turns no more his head; because he knows a frightful fiend doth close behind him tread." (Shelley 83)

3 comments:

  1. I know the story about how Frankenstein came to be. So does this book explain who the man Frankenstein is before he was reanimated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting, might consider it for another lit analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on everything! Sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete