Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Latin Roots #3

Roots and Derivatives
  1. aud(it): hear
  2. avi: bird
  3. bell(i): war
  4. ben(e): good, well
Word List
  1. antebellum: before the war especially the American Civil War, typical of how things were before any war
  2. audit: to attend a class only as a listener, not for credit; to check or examine a company's financial records; the process of making such examinations
  3. auditory: related to the sense of hearing
  4. avian: characteristics of or pertaining to birds
  5. aviary: an elaborate structure for housing birds
  6. avionics: the technology of (using) electronic equipment in aviation, missilery, and space flight
  7. bellicose: eager to fight or quarrel; hostile
  8. belligerency: the condition of warlike hostility; a hostile action
  9. benefactor:a person who gives another (financial) help; a patron
  10. beneficiary: one who receives a benefit (of payment) as from an insurance policy
  11. benign: not malignant; gracious and kindly; good-natured
  12. inaudible: unable to be heard
Sentences
  1. I love the band Lady Antebellum.
  2. The doctor in training had to audit the experienced doctors appointments.
  3. The old ladies auditory was decreasing over time.
  4. For the play the young girl had to learn to be avian to be the swan.
  5. The father was helping his young kids build an aviary.
  6. The college student was majoring in avionics.
  7. I was bellicose when my sister took my phone charger. 
  8. My sister's belligerency was asking for a fight.
  9. My mom wants to become a benefactor to help people.
  10. After the car accident the victim became a beneficiary.
  11. Even though my sister and I fight I still tell people that she is benign
  12. My hearing problems have made many things inaudible over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment